If two numbers added together equal zero, they are called additive inverses. For example, (9) + (-9):
- The additive inverse of 9 is -9
- The additive inverse of -9 is 9 (or +9)
Simplifying the adding of mixed integers
The rules are:
- Positive & positive = positive
- Negative & negative = positive
- Negative & positive = negative
- Positive & negative = negative
Adding integers is where a set of numbers are added together.
For example, (or +11)
Another example, (or +2)
Subtracting integers is where numbers are taken away from other numbers.
The key with subtracting something in brackets, is to convert the minus into a plus, and then inverting the content in the brackets. For example, instead of . to have